Lic. Graphic Design
Graphic & Type Designer
Graphic & Type Designer
Hey there! I'm Fernando Díaz, a graphic and type designer born in Montevideo, Uruguay in 1988.
I'm co-director at TipoType Foundry and a teacher at ORT University.
• B.A. with high honors in Graphic Design from ORT University, Montevideo, Uruguay.
• Type@Cooper Condensed 2017, a Typeface Design program from Cooper Union University, New York, USA.
• "The Book: Making and Meaning in the Medieval Manuscript" from HarvardX with professor Jeffrey F. Hamburger (Harvard University).
• "Understanding Research Methods" from University of London with Dr J. Simon Rofe and Dr Yenn Lee (SOAS, University of London).
• Teacher at ORT University, on the subjects: Typography, Editorial Design and Branding since 2007.
• Mentor at Alphabettes 2020.
• Jury of TiposLatinos 2014 (Valparaíso), the Latin American Typography Biennale.
• Instructor at Type Camp Brazil 2012 (Campinas).
• Given more than 15 workshops about Calligraphy, Lettering and Typography in different parts of the world.
• Co-funder of Type&Beer!, a workshop by TipoType that mixes Beer brewing and Typography.
• Speaker at TypeLab 2020 (NYC, USA via zoom).
• Spotlight Video at Typographics 2020 (NYC, USA via zoom).
• Speaker at Uruguay Cartel 2019 (Colonia, Uruguay).
• Speaker at Pixelations 2016 (Rosario, Argentina).
• Speaker at DiaTipo RS 2016 (Porto Alegre, Brazil).
• Speaker at JIDP 2015 at ValpoCrea (Valparaíso, Chile) along Dr. Alderete, Laura Varsky and many others.
• Speaker at Bienal Poster of Bolivia 2015 (La Paz, Bolivia) along Andrew Lewis, Ryszard Kaja, Alain Le Quernec, Pekka Loiri, Erin Wright, Mehdi Saeedi, Isidro Ferrer, Diego Vainesman and many others.
• Speaker at DiaTipo 2014 (Sao Paulo, Brazil) along Matthew Carter, Stephen Coles and other figures.
• Speaker at PechaKucha 2014 (Montevideo, Uruguay).
• Online speaker for ADG Colombia 2014 at UTADEO (Bogotá, Colombia).
• Speaker at Behance Portfolio Reviews 2013 (Montevideo, Uruguay).
• Speaker at Design e Cultura na América Latina 2012 at UNB (Brasilia, Brazil).
• Among many other conferences in my home country.
• Co-funder partner at TipoType.com: the first type-foundry of Uruguay.
• Founding member of Sociedad Tipográfica de Montevideo (Montevideo's Typographic Society).
• Country delegate for AtypI (Association Typographique International)
• Member of TDC (The Type Directors Club of NY).
• Member of The Printing Historical Society.
• Sargent Rank in the Estamos Unidos de Diseño, given by Felipe Covarrubia himself.
• Creator of TypeVids and co-creator of Type&Beer.
• Entrepreneurship past: co-funder of FashionAttitude, (graduated from Start-Up Chile in 2012).
• Trasandina:obtained an Excellence Certificate at TiposLatinos 2016 as a Text typeface. Selected by MyFonts to be featured as a RisingStar in August 2015. It was also featured in HypeForType as one of the top 10 fonts of 2015, in DesignYourWay and TipografíaDigital.Net as a best selling font for designers and in CreativeBloq as the font of the day. Featured also in WeAndTheColor, Graphica.info, FontMatters, etc..
• Libertad:was selected at TiposLatinos 2016 as Display typeface. Also won the CLAP Platinum Award 2015 for the being the best display typeface. It was considered one of the best selling typefaces of 2015 by FontHaus and best typefaces of 2014 by TheNExtWeb, and YouWorkForThem; featured at iLoveTypography, BeType, FontMatters, FontHaus, etc.. It was also reviewed at TYPOBerlin 2013 by the FontFont typeboard (Spiekerman, Van Bloklan, Van der Laan, etc…).
• Quiroga Serif Pro:
• Quiroga Serif Pro:was awarded at Bienal Tipos Latinos 2008 & Bienal Iberoamericana de Diseño 2010. Exposed all over the world, with a special exhibition in Uruguay Design at Helsinki, Finland 2012. Also selected as one of the best fonts of 2013 by beType and webdesignerdepot.
• Declared Distinguished Guest of the city of Rosario, Argentina.
• Selected by the The Type Directors Club of New York as the Member of the Month.
• Interviewed by Communication Arts Magazine.
• Interviewed by MyFonts with my other three partners in Creative Characters, The Faces Behind the Fonts.
• Featured in the book YearBook of Type 2 (by Slanted publishers)
• Featured in the book 365 Typo Book.
• Featured in magazines like: Paula (Uy), Galería (Uy) Bla, Picnic! (Mx) and 'Emergentes' (Uy).
• Participated in the book 'Tipografía Latinoamericana' compiled by Vicente Lamónaca.
• Wrote an article about the history of printing in Uruguay.
• Some of the posters I've designed where exhibited in Bolivia, Mexico and Uruguay.
Thanks for stopping by!
Graduated with honors
At Cooper Union University, Foundation Building.
Professor: Jeffrey F. Hamburger (Harvard University)
with Dr J. Simon Rofe and Dr Yenn Lee (SOAS, University of London).